What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel.
Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.
Pierre Elliot Trudeau
Playing in a low-water rock garden on the Madawaska.
Click to enlarge - 30k. Canoeing La Mauricie National Park PQ. Click to enlarge - 30k. It's all about the journey. And as the saying goes: "Failure to plan is planning to fail." So here are my gear lists and what a well-stocked First-Aid Kit should look like. The list pages are designed to print in an easy format stripped of all extras like images, navigation or title bars. I got tired of wet tents and gear and, being retired, tired of spending good money on small amounts of seam sealer. So here's my own version which I probably picked up somewhere on an another outdoor website. The bear bag handing method is one of the best I've ever seen.
The petroglyphs of Bon Echo
Last of the fading petroglyphs near entrance to Carcajou Bay, Algonquin
Fading petroglyphs by First Nations canoe trippers from long ago. These petroglyphs are on cliffs or rock ledges by the water so they can only be reached by canoe. The artists would have stood in their canoes to draw them.
Note: La Vérendrye Reserve has it's own section - it's that good.
- Huron Canoe - Rebuilding a 45 year old wood canvas canoe
- Gear lists - My check lists for the Canoe, Personal, Sleeping, Kitchen, Clothing, and everthing else.
- Primary First Aid Kit- Extensive yes, but I take it when there are more than just me.
- Small First Aid Kit- Small, one person kit that I use then solo.
- Declination- Determining the Magnetic Declination on site as Map declinations are only estimates.
- Home-made Seam Sealant - for a lot less than manufactured.
- Insulating pot cozies - A great way to save on fuel.